Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lost...the end


This past Sunday marked the end of one of my favorite shows of all time. I’ve watched from the very first episode. I distinctly remember the end of episode one when the castaways are all staring into the forest as the “monster” shows up for the first time. From that moment on, I was hooked. I know a lot of people feel strongly about the finale. Some loved it, and some hated it. I actually liked it a lot. It was deeply spiritual, and I’ve loved trying to wrap my head around what it all means. I still have it saved on my DVR, and I’m sure I’ll watch it several more times before I delete it. In the end, I’ll admit that there were a lot of questions that didn’t get answered. But in the last 10 minutes of the episode, I was in tears, and it just didn’t seem to matter to me anymore. As I watched Jack at the end of his journey, it hit me just how far he‘d come. From a man of science to a man of faith. If you haven’t seen the finale, you may not want to read any further as I’m about to share some of my favorite moments (in no particular order) -

1. Sawyer and Juliet’s awakening - so sweet and passionate. I was never a Kate and Sawyer fan, so I was pleasantly surprised when he and Juliet fell in love. It was good to see them re-united. Did anyone else catch that as they were embracing he whispers to her “I got you”? This was of course in reference to her death (falling down the well).

2. Kate tells Jack that she loves him. I thought Matthew Fox was in the acting zone during the finale. The look on his face, and his response just took my breath away. Also in the final church scene when Kate comes up to him and takes his hand, again his expression was just priceless. So full of just raw emotion.

3. Hurley asking Ben to be his 2nd. A major theme through out the series and the finale is redemption. And who needs it more than Benjamin Linus?! I loved seeing the look of awe and disbelief on his face as he finally gets the purpose he’s so desperately been longing for.

I think I’ve been so consumed this season with trying to figure out all the mysteries of the island that I lost sight of the fact that these people were a community. At the end of the finale that point was hammered home. The tears were definitely flowing as Jack steps into the church and you see his reaction to seeing his island companions. At that point it hit me that even with all of the crazy mysteries of the island (polar bears and all!) at its heart lost was about these people. It was about there individual journey’s of redemption, but also about each of their parts within this community that was forced upon them because of the crash of Oceanic 815.

If you’ve never watched LOST, I’d encourage you to get season one on DVD and get hooked!

No comments: