Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"The Happening" - Movie Review
(Spoiler Alert!)

A friend of mine wrote a great review of the new M. Night Shyamalan movie "The Happening" I agree with most all of it, so instead of writing my own review, I just borrowed his. (Thanks Stephen!) The only thing I disagree with is that I loved Lady in the Water. For all of you who didn't, you need to watch it again!

If you haven't seen the new movie and you don't want to know the plot, then don't read any further...



...Um yeah. Let me start of by saying this. M. Night Shyamalan has made some great movies. I even liked him all the way up to The Village. Yes, even The Village. Lady in the Water was...eh. Honestly. I felt like he slipped a bit. And now we come to this. The Happening.

I can't express how bad this movie was. It was horrible. I don't even know where to start on how horrible it was. Let's start simple. The acting was bad. Really bad. I don't even know how to say how bad it was. Now it's not entirely the actors/actresses fault. The script was bad too. Really bad. Horribly bad. It was cheezy when it needed to be and just plain stupid at other times. Trust me on that one.

Let's jump to the story though. It's not like its a secret anymore. It's about a bunch of people running around away from a toxin thats released from plants that makes people kill themselves. That's really the entire movie in a nutshell. But seriously...half the time it feels like Mr. Shyamalan took all the birds from The Birds and replaced them with wind blowing through trees. But what worked for Alfred Hitchcock is the downfall of M. Night.

I think that he decided to rewrite An Inconvenient Truth with his own twist on it. But I wish they would just title it: A 101 Unconventional Ways of Killing Yourself. It would be more accurate. But in the end the moral stands strong. At least give it that. The moral being: Be nice to nature....or else.

No comments: