Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Kim Kardashian & the Trouble with Herman Cain



What a crazy week it's been in both pop culture and political news. I've had a few thoughts rumbling inside my head that I want to share...

Let's start with Kim Kardashian. I'm not a big celebrity news follower, but obviously news of her divorce (after only 72 days of marriage) has been hard to miss. Now I don't know Ms. Kardashian, or the details of her situation... but from the outside looking in, let me tell you what concerns me. Kim Kardashian is a role model to young girls. Now before you start yelling at me that she never asked to be a role model, let me just say that it doesn't matter. She is a role model...period. There are millions of young girls who watch her every move. They watch her reality show, and they want to know what she's wearing, and who she's dating. They watch everything she does. I'm more than a little concerned about the message that her divorce sends to them. I was watching CNN today when they shared this quote from a statement Kim released on her blog:

"It [marriage] just didn’t turn out to be the fairy tale I had so badly hoped for..."

We live in a country with a divorce rate that is well over 50%, and I think part of the problem is that we're trying to live some sort of fairy tale instead of dealing with real life. Marriage is hard, and most of the people I know that have been married for while say that after the honeymoon is over, marriage becomes a choice. When there are problems, they choose to stay, they choose to do whatever it takes to work things out.

Here's another quote from her statement:

"I felt like I was on a fast roller coaster and couldn’t get off, when now I know I probably should have. I got caught up with the hoopla and the filming of the TV show that when I probably should have ended my relationship, I didn’t know how to and didn’t want to disappoint a lot of people."

I also think it has to say a lot about our "reality" culture, that this young woman felt the pressure to marry someone she shouldn't have.

I really do wish the best for her....

Now on to Herman Cain...

One word...REALLY?! I'm sure you've heard now about the two woman who accused Mr. Cain of sexual harassment when he worked at the National Restaurant Association. The way his campaign has chosen to deal with this issue has been laughable at best. I'm no political strategist, but even I know that in the instant information society we live in today, you can't be in the public spotlight and have secrets....or at least not have them for very long. His campaign had to know this was coming, yet they were seriously unprepared to deal with it. They lied, and please someone tell me why I would want to vote for a person who lies to me? 

And It gets worse...today I saw him on the news saying that these allegations were racist! Again with my one word...REALLY?! We're going to play the race card Herman?! Between him and Ann Coulter, I just want to bang my head against a wall...ahhh politics...

What are your thoughts????

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ur rite is all i can say...both of them suck and suck...and i hate that chic for using her publicity..i wish she looses it one day and am sure she will run back to that guy like a dog