Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Waiting for a Sign...


Several years ago, I worked as a youth leader with a very unique and fun couple. When I think of them, I think of two things. One is that they keep their Christmas tree up until February. And the second is a story.

When they were praying whether or not they should take the youth pastor position at this church we were attending, they asked God to give them a sign. The husband was scheduled to preach during a Sunday night service, and they were getting close to their deadline to make a decision. So they prayed and told God, if a teenager came forward during the alter call at the end of the service, that would be the sign that they should accept the position. The service began and my friend preached his sermon. And sure enough during the alter call, a teenager came forward. That was the sign they were waiting for, so they accepted the position.

Later they would find out that this same teenager, struggling in the assurance of their faith, came forward every Sunday night!

I share this story, because it's funny, and because it makes me think.

But first another story...

The other night, I was hanging out with a few people from my church. As the evening progressed we realized that we were all single, so naturally the conversation took a turn toward singleness. One of my friends revealed that he is in the beginning stages of a relationship with a girl who is not a Christian.

Just briefly I’ll say this...I can't imagine trying to share my life with someone who isn't passionate about God. My relationship with God is the most important thing in my life...How can I build a relationship with someone who doesn't share the same belief?

Anyways, back to my friend...he's basically already decided to pursue the relationship, because he asked God to give him a sign that she was the one, and he believes that God has given him several...


I wonder sometimes if we depend a little too much on signs. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe God uses signs to speak to people. But I also think that one of the most important tools that God has given us is his word. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

The problem is that a lot of people think the bible is irrelevant to their modern problems. It may be true that you’re not going to find the bible verse that says “Tweet unto others as thou would have others tweet unto thee”… But it’s also true that the bible is full of wisdom and truth that can show us how to navigate this thing called life. (Psalm 119:105)

I can think of so many times in my own life, when I’ve cried out to God to show me what to do, when like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, I had exactly what I needed all along…

God's word is the biggest sign of all... And any "SIGN" that we think we've received should fall in line with God's word. God does not contradict himself.

I think at it's heart, the desire to receive a sign from God, is the desire to know we're doing the right thing. The desire to know that he is listening, and that he cares enough to nudge us in the right direction.

From my own experience, I'll tell you that God's word changed my life. After being challenged at a conference several years ago, I decided I was going to make it a priority in my life. I began to read it regularly. I also began to meditate and chew on it (Psalm 1:2). And before I knew it the Holy Spirit began to work in my heart. He began to speak to me, and to reveal truth to me. It changed the way I looked at God, myself, my problems, and the world around me. So my advice to you is to seek God in his word...

Find your direction there
Find your hope there
Find all that you need to make your way home...

No comments: