Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lent 2011

It's Fat Tuesday! Which of course means tomorrow is the beginning of Lent.


You know that's funny! In all seriousness, I've spent the last week really thinking about what I'm going to "give up" this year. Here are some of people's top choices:


This year I've decided to give up:

1. Fast Food - Which really means no french fries! (my kryptonite!) I'll be giving the money I would normally spend to a good cause!
2.Television (2 days a week) - I'm planning on living television free 2 days a week.

I've also been attempting to memorize Romans chapter 8, and want to really focus on doing that during the next 40 days. Right now I have the first 10 verses memorized. Let's see how much more I can get done during Lent.

For me Lent is about remembering one of the toughest things Jesus ever said -

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. (Matthew 16:24)

It's so simple, yet so HARD! If we say we are followers of Christ, we must do these three things:

1. Deny Ourselves -This means laying down our own desires, wants and needs. In a culture where it's so easy to indulge ourselves in whatever we want, this can be tough!

2. Take Up Our Cross - Jesus took up his cross when he was on his way to Calvary to die. Do you get that He's asking us to do the same? To take up our cross and get ready to go die. Not physically, but it's more the death of self. More of Christ, less of me. As I become more and more like Christ. More of my selfish ways start to diminish and die.

3. Follow Christ - That means he's leading and I'm following. Period.



24-7 Prayer has a great tool to use during lent. Go Check it out!



No comments: